Cannabis, or CBD Oil, is an alternative treatment for a number of conditions in pets as well as people. According to a recent Colorado State University survey of pet owners, “93% of all respondents favored the use of medical cannabis over some medications” (published in the 2016 Journal of the American Holistic Association).
CBD oil is an effective option to prescription medications with none of the common side effects such as kidney, liver, and gastrointestinal impact. It works by interacting with receptors in the body that control conditions such as pain, nausea, inflammation, and anxiety.
Can CBD oil help my pet? Conditions that potentially benefit from the use of CBD oil:
– Osteoarthritis pain relief
– Age-related changes in behavior including sleep/wake cycle disturbances, excessive vocalization and neediness, and some repetitive behaviors
– Anxiety and noise phobias (thunderstorms, fireworks)
– Muscle spasms
– Anti-cancer activity
– Skin & Gastrointestinal conditions that are inflammatory in nature
– End of life considerations
What is CBD?
CBD stands for Cannabinoid. The definition of Cannabinoid is: “any chemical compound that interacts with receptors throughout the body and can be divided into three main categories” which are:
– Produced in cellular membranes throughout the body on an as-needed basis (known as the endocannabinoid system)
– Found in plants (e.g. marijuana, hemp, Echinacea) and that interacts with receptors in the endocannabinoid system
– Compound made by pharmaceutical companies or illicit labs that interact with receptors in the endocannabinoid system